View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #34
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Second version of the throttle assembly

This is good stuff guys! I've got more to add as well as a few questions. This is still early in the process.

In my notes below I will toss in a couple dates from the records. It is IMPORTANT to realize those dates only offer a guide as to original intent at best and actual usage may be either earlier or later, or both.

1. My research indicates the oil wick and cup as shown in Tom's pic came into play pretty early and MAY be in the last version of the type-1 control. That would likely mean a slightly different forging shape to allow space for the wick pocket. This would be a type-1b if it exists.

2. It's now my understanding there IS an existing example of the illustrated type-2 except it SHOULD have the flat bottom as opposed to the way it was drawn. This would be type-2a and should include the oil wick and cup. I still need to confirm the existence.

3. Type-2b would be the one piece forging as shown in Tom's pic with the oil cups shown here. Also Rusty didn't respond to my curiosity on what appears to be inserts in the oil holes in the next pic. The oil "plugs" as well as the wicks were first documented 4/5/28. The plugs were documented as obsolete 7/30/28 and the felt oil wicks obsolete 2/11/29. Assuming the plugs are indeed the cups we see in some one piece forged brackets that makes them among the earliest of the"type-2" assemblies.

4. Dudley brought out some good info with his pic below and corresponding notes. If I understood correctly my added notes should be useful. This is the two piece forging which I will call "type-2c". I've not found much info on the two piece except supposedly it was obsolete 9/28/28. I suspect it was continued longer.

5. Now a note about forgings vs. castings. Folks confuse forgings with castings due to the texture on the surface of the finished product. I won't get into malleable or nodular casting but in simple terms it's it's still pouring a molten alloy into a mold of some sort. In simple terms, forging is the reshaping of solid chunks of steel under extreme heat, generally between two dies (hence the parting line).

The latter is unquestionably far stronger but limited in the type of shapes that can be produced. Forging also retains the grain of the original steel over the length of the item. This is much like the grain of a strip of lumber and it's strength along the grain. If you steam bend such a board into a "U" shape the grain follows that shape and the strength is retained.

The cast version should be slightly thicker throughout but in the pic above I've outlined differences that SHOULD consistently define one from the other. At the present time I strongly suspect the forged bracket was used into early 1929. That may be a stretch but with the help of you guys looking at some cars it should be easy to nail down.

Last edited by Marco Tahtaras; 11-15-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Marco Tahtaras is offline   Reply With Quote