Thread: New block
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #255
Henry Floored

Default Re: New block

I agree Scott, for the most part a standard 8BA can be outfitted to repower anything all the way back to the '32's.

We must keep this in perspective. A new block until recently was considered an impossible dream.

Tod there were long discussions about the feasibility and possibility of a new block recently on this forum. Before your arrival here many were skeptical of the chances of this ever getting done. To tell you the truth I am completely ignorant of the skill sets and resources needed to do a project like this.

Upon hearing the phrase "it can't be done" my own secret plan was to build a model of the best 8BA I could in my little backyard shop. The changes I wanted to make were mostly in the intake and exhaust porting and I also wanted to "play" with intake valve angles and sizing.

I thought I might be able to do this by simply machining away the areas marked for improvement then rebuilding those areas with "bondo" and go in and reshape the porting and change the valve position by hand.

I thought if a person took an actual block and simply changed only the areas of improvement that a skilled person like yourself could digitize or reverse engineer this prototype.

Thinking that having something in 3D that one could photograph and demonstrate the benefits of, might be a catalyst to spark interest in a new engine block. It was in my mind to take the idea as far as I could then find an engine master, like yourself, to actually get it done for real.

Of course this engine block is quietly sleeping on a stand in my little shop awaiting me for time and the procurement of my dream of owning my own vertical milling machine.

The engine block of my dreams exists but only in my head at the moment. I feel like you can and will actually bring it to light.

The Flathead community (and I think I can speak for all of us) would love the option of a new engine.

Please if there is anything I or anyone here can do to help you don't hesitate to ask. I think this is great!
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote