Thread: New block
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #235
Ol' Ron

Default Re: New block

While everybody seems to be concern with the potential power they can get out of the Block, I look at it for a different application. It would be nice to get a block that would provide exceptional power output, I don't think the Market for that kind of block would affect sales. As the original block can provide a reasonavle amoount of reliability in the 125/ 150 HP range, a new block would have it biggest sales potential if it could provide that at a lower cost. Having built a few street engines I find the 276 to be the most popular. At one time the stock 4" crank was available at a reasonable cost, that's not the case any more. Now the aftermarket Crank assys are available up to 304 ci at about the same price. This big an engine puts a strain on the intake system which just adds more costs. The average guy just wants a reasonably priced engine he can run it his street machine. Now adding extra material in the weak ares The builder caan have a 268 ci engine using all stick components except the pistons. Thus, he gets a stocl looking engine that really pulld the hills and properly tuned get great mileage, and this is where the market is. I just helped a frien on mine ger a stock 8RT running, came out of a school bus. Pulled the heads and freed up a few valves. put a new head gasket on the engine with 8BA heads and fired it up great oil pressure, runs cool on an engine stand, sold for 1200 bucks. Not many of these bargens left. And the finished product, wouldn't cost mich more tham rebuilding an old engine
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote