Thread: New block
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #223
40 Deluxe

Default Re: New block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Lots of good stuff being posted here! I am plodding along on the design. It is moving along as I have time.

Given that my block may be non-sanctioned by most bodies I am thinking of making the underside metal wall, where the exhaust manifold flanges bolt, a straight flat surface from front to rear. Since it won't help or hurt sanctioning I figured it would add a little coolant capacity and straighten out the flow a little. Opinions?
Tod
How much longer can the ol' boys that run sanctioning bodies refuse to accept new, aftermarket blocks? It gets harder and harder to find good original blocks. If Tod's block matches all the critical dimensions of an original drawing, what difference would it really make? A winning race engine is a far cry from a stocker as it is now. Ports are filled and reshaped. Bigger valves are installed. Main caps are replaced or reinforced. Oiling systems are totally reworked. And the list goes on. I'd guess costs would be close, whether OEM or new, by the time the engine hits the track.
So why outlaw a new block like Tod's? Old time racers have their stash of (hopefully) good old blocks. But the new young guy looking to join the fun, not so much. Are the powers that be trying to keep the new guy out?!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote