View Single Post
Old 10-22-2022, 08:38 PM   #5
CA Victoria

Default Re: 1946-1948 Brake Shoe Position

I like the Boling Bros drums. The drum can be turned to .090, are notably heavier, and made in USA. I could not afford to invest in the Bendix backing plates at this time so I bought the drums thru Cornhuskers (Krylon) and used 39-41 hubs, on 46-48 backing plates.
Since the drums are new while Rochester Clutch and Brake had my shoes I had them arch them too. I used a soft woven lining which was recommended to work well with the Lockheed system.
The 46-48 drums I removed were within spec but the 1980s shoes with a hard lining were not making uniform contact with the drums. The New setup is a vast improvement but I feel it could be better. I need to investigate the cams tomorrow they may not be a correct fit to allow the shoes to float..... checked the cams and they are OK- going to put a bit more driving time on the new setup. Having drums that slide off of the hubs is a nice feature.
While the technical aspect of 46-48 brake adjustment is simple I do not have the feel for finding the sweet spot on these yet. Still learning - - -

Last edited by CA Victoria; 10-23-2022 at 08:59 AM.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote