View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 07:07 PM   #111
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Ben hoodwinks the Sudanese Aviation Authority.
Years ago one was required to do a “type endorsement” on each type of aeroplane one was to fly. It’s an old hang-up we had from the days of adopting British law. It was at the time of this incident law in Sudan too. This is a story from Sudan.
Anyway I was to fly a Thrush. An ag plane powered with a Pratt and Whitney 600hp radial. Aviation law in Australia was rewritten to be simpler in some aspects and type endorsement was abolished. I didn’t have Thrush written as a specific type but because I had
1 Tail wheeland
2 Constant speed propeller
I was covered. But this did not suit the Sudanese so I had to do a type endorsement. In the interim I was granted a dispensation. The exam paper was sent from England and arrived about a month later. I was to be driven to Khartoum to sit the paper. This was a long and frightening road trip. Right of way is given to the vehicle with the loudest horn and the brightest flashing headlights. Drivers spent considerable time tuning horns.
I completed the written exam and returned to the farming area to work, commonly known as the Gazera. I was called back to Khartoum in about a month and told I didn’t pass. The reason, that was stated I must check carburettor heat at 1800 rpm, not 1700 as I had written. Or visa versa I don’t recall. It’s not dissimilar to asking whether you wear your undies inside in or inside out. Just as relevant.

They, the Sudanese aviation authority had been assigned poms to oversee their aviation department and it was a pom who corrected my error. Well did I give him a mouthful. He would not have been accustomed to a reprimand from a colonial. Insubordinate bloody colonial! I was granted a type endorsement about 10 days prior to the end of my contract.

Well the best part of this story is about Ben Buckley. Ben an Australian pilot from the high country in Victoria. He had flown the Fletcher and it was a specific type written on Ben’s licence from earlier days. (I had a story and picture of aFletcher a few days back). Well the Fletcher has a designated type ID as a FU24. When the aviation man pointed out he didn’t have a Thrush endorsement Ben responded by saying, “in Australia we call a Thrush a FU24”. Total bull of course. “Ah, that is good then Mr Buckley”. Ben therefore did not have to suffer the hassle that I did.Smart thinking Ben.
This is the radial thrush Ben convinced the Sudanese Authorities was an FU24
The Thrust picture didn't stick. I have much difficulty in posting photos here.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 06-23-2018 at 07:38 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote