View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #20
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: Oil viscosity (weight) for model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
A question(s) for Mr. Kohnke: Assuming a stock 'A' engine with Babbitt bearings, how long after a cold start can it safely run without oil reaching the mains (or refilling the dipper tray)?
Now, say your A has sat in an unheated garage for a month. You go to start it tomorrow morning when it's 14 above. How long before oil reaches the mains and dipper tray?

I'm going to say a cold engine will run a lot longer (without any damage) before oil gets to the bearings than the average person would think. Or else no Model A would have made it past it's first winter!

The oil in the dipper tray is always full after the engine shuts off.

When it is 14 above, you should have had 20 wt. oil in it already but if it is still 30Wt., There wouldn't be but a few seconds difference, if any. Those Model A Oil Pumps really put out. I had a 31 Model a coupe with a box in the back that I drove in the winter hunting. the oil wasn't changed very often, and it had 30Wt. year around, never any problems with bearings, and it sat out all year, by the chicken house. pull up once, and it was running. In any case, the oil would be there, before the heat from the bearings would be.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote