View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 07:21 AM   #7
BIG KEV

Default Re: 3.25:1 (approx) gear set

I'm running a 3.27 gear in my A coupe... 95 HP B motor, pulls the hills great and plenty of power... The stock A crashbox leaves alot to be desired, I was shifting to 3rd at 40 mph. This car will pull away from standard traffic also. When I had the stock 3.7 gear, I didn't use first gear, I just did 2nd to 3rd with stock wheels.

I would not do a gear ratio like that with a 5 speed. Too low of OD and you would need a ton of power to pull it. OHV power in the low 120 range and still you would lug I think.

Quickchange listed above is another idea but will make you very hotrod. Plus the $ out for one is pretty steep.

I am installing a 34 trans behind my banger right now, the clings adapter etc... Gear ratios should make driving even better along with synchro's 2nd and 3rd.

Last thing to touch on is tire height.... If stock wheels and tire size, then a modified A mill will work with 3.2 gears, bump up to later 16,17,18" wheels with 7.00 or 7.50 rubber on them, then its like a gear swap without a gear swap. As stated above I was using 2nd and 3rd gear on the stock A wheels and tires... I went to 7.50-16 and started using first again.
BIG KEV is offline   Reply With Quote