View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 07:00 PM   #5
Stingray70

Default Re: Why so many upgrades??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Reay View Post
Newbie here again. I am still collecting books and reading catalogs, and watching videos in preparation for dismantling my car. I have noted the availability of 12 volt conversions, new distributors, improved carburetors, high compression heads, oil filter kits, and exhaust headers all of which will make the engine more powerful and the car go faster. I have noted several apparently credible persons comment that it is risky to beef up the Model A engine too much, because the center main bearing is a known weak spot. Do owners really make numerous such upgrades, or do they normally choose just one or two to solve a specific problem?
Welcome to the barn Russell. That is a very good question and you will get many answers in what I am sure will become a mullti page thread.

For me personally, I bought a model A in part for the experience of owning and driving a pre war car. I want my A to be as correct as possible.. To that end,, I have spent much of the past 6 months since I bought my Coupe ( my first A) removing many "mods" from previous owners. It is a good solid car but it is what it is. If I want to go fast, have air conditioning, need quiet, or want to listen to a good stereo, I drive one of my other cars. I have no desire to drive 60 mph in my A on the interstate. Where I live I don't have to either.

I do live in a very hilly area and am considering a mild high compression head to help maintain speed up the hills. The only other modifications to my car now are seat belts and a second tail light.

I get a chuckle every time I go to our local classic car museum. There are 3 model A's on display. All presented as "original". Even with my limited model A knowledge I could fill a page with things that aren't correct on each of them.

Like I said you will get a hundred opinions on this and most will be valid based on what the owner wants from their car. I figure there is a fine line between "just a few mods" and having for all intents and purposes a hot rod.

Cheers