View Single Post
Old 05-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
bigd1101

Default Re: Proper way to re-torque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
I'm not smart enough to give you good answers to your questions, but I can share my experiences. Part # A6064T is the Snyders number for the tool that will allow you to torque down the bolt under the distributor. Try borrowing one from a club member. When I got my first Model A in 1950, my father made me take the motor apart and check tolerances and then reassemble with new gaskets. That way I would know what made everything work. We had no torque wrenches or for that matter I had no socket set. The head was tightened with an open/box wrench about 8 inches long and pulled as tight as I could. The car never had a gasket leak and as a kid I drove it like I had stolen it. As for the backing off of the nut a bit before torquing it down, there seems to be a huge difference of opinion something like which oil to use. The theory is that it takes a bit more torque to set the nut in motion, therefore back it off and get a head start to the correct torque. I believe this is done one at a time. It's kind of like pushing a car on a flat driveway. You need more energy to get it going, once it begins to roll it takes less energy to keep it going. I am no expert but these are some of my thoughts. Good luck, Jack

Thanks Jack, ordered the tool. Guess the two nuts on the goose-neck don't matter I'm gathering. What about the sequence question? Do you know if I loosen them all first then re-torque or one at a time?
bigd1101 is offline   Reply With Quote