View Single Post
Old 06-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #4
Tom Endy

Default Re: Borg Warner Overdrive

If it is free-wheeling it is because the over-run clutch on the output shaft is engaged. A possible cause is that the sheet metal oil shield associated with the blocking mechanism has become deformed and is not allowing the mechanism connected to the pull cable from sliding all the way.

This is a common occurrence with Borg Warner overdrives. The early Motor's Manuals refer to this condition.

There is a photo of the shield in the Borg Warner repair article on the Santa Anita A's web site.

Years ago I had a 29 coupe with a BW. One morning I backed it out of the garage to go to the post office. I engaged the overdrive during the trip, everything worked fine. I took it out of overdrive when I parked it at the post office. When I came out I discovered I could not back up. I rolled the car back in order to get it out of the parking space. On the trip home the overdrive worked fine. However, I still could not back up.

When I pulled the overdrive out of the car and disassembled it I found the oil shield deformed and restricting the mechanism connected to the pull cable. How it got deformed all of a sudden on it's own is a mystery.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote