View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #57
Licensed to kill

Default Re: Title goes with Frame or Engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Dean, you are approaching this from a logical standpoint however not a lawful standpoint. The manufacturer stated the VIN for the vehicle would be the engine number. Ford had a protocol when engines were replaced where the mechanic was required to stamp the replacement engine with correct VIN. A Ford Agency was authorized to do this, -and they even warned in the Service Bulletins about outside individuals doing this re-stamping.

So the bottom-line in this is, the Title VIN does not get changed every time an engine is replaced, ...the replacement engine number does. Just because someone failed to correctly re-stamp an engine during replacement does not mean the law should provide an exemption for them. The engine number IS the correct VIN.

Yes Chris, this is a valid question coming from someone who called me asking what the correct info.
So, I've been thinking about this for a couple days now and this IS one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Not directed at you Brent, directed at FORD. While this may be fine if one is replacing the original motor with a NEW FORD replacement at a FORD dealership where they stamp the pad with the VIN and properly dispose of the original engine, it is absolutely ridiculous when replacing a motor with one from another car. Example. My '31 fordor has an engine from a '29 coupe. If i register it with the VIN on the engine, my car would be registered as a '29 coupe which it clearly is not. SO, according to FORD, the original VIN from the original motor is to be stamped on the replacement engine. However, there is already a number stamped on the pad. Is it to be ground off?. How is this any different than stealing a car and restamping the VIN? So, I restamp the VIN on my engine to the same VIN that was on the original motor as per FORD directive, then someone decides to rebuild the original ,motor and use it. Now we have two cars with the same VIN. If there is a dispute, who will get the title??, the guy with the restamp or the guy with the factory stamp??. Besides, isn't it technically illegal to restamp or in any way tamper with a VIN??.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote