View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #37
Synchro909

Default Re: Title goes with Frame or Engine?

Cars here in Australia don't have titles but this thread is still of great interest to me. I have brought 2 Model As here from the US over the years and at one time, wanted to bring a running chassis. The title issue reared its ugly head. Before a car can be exported, it must have a title. That is fair enough and not a bad way to prevent stolen high end cars being sent out of the US for resale. I couldn't get the OK to export the chassis because it didn't have a title - that rightly or wrongly had had stayed with the body which was to become a hotrod.
When I pressed the matter, I found I was in a very grey area. A bare chassis, I was told did not need a title but if it had axles under it, it was considered a car so it did. Clearly, the axles alone didn't need a title and neither did a bare chassis so I asked "At what stage does a pile of parts become a car requiring a title?" Chassis and axles." was the answer and that would apply even it the chassis and axles were not together. Even anywhere in the same shipment. The seller wasn't prepared to send the parts separately so the deal fell over and I still don't have a speedster.
It seems to me that I could get any car out so long as I drip fed the axles and chassis into different shipments. Someone ought to make a TV show about this $#!T
All I can say is, thank goodness we don't have to worry about this stuff here.