View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
Superhart

Default Re: Update - Locking Handles

Further Update. Will at C.W. Moss actually found a trunk handle keyed the same as the matched pair of door handles saving me the $25 surcharge. Received my package in record time and attempted to install the handles yesterday. The passenger handle and trunk handles went in perfectly and work. The drivers side was another story. When I installed the locking handle and snugged up the screws the latch acted like it was locked. I pulled the handle out and compared it to the original non-locking handle and the square shafts of both handles appeared identical in length including the position of the rounded area near the end of the shaft. Installed the locking handle again and the same thing happened. Then I tried pulling the handle out approximately 3/16" and the latch worked perfectly. Seemed like the end of the square shaft was binding on something in the latch mechanism. I am a stubborn German so I wasn't going to let this stop me or stump me so I got busy with a grinding wheel and a flat bastard file and filed 3/16" of the square shaft down to match the rounded section and tried the handle again. IT WORKED!!!! I have no idea what the problem was since I have not seen the latch mechanism out of the car but I won't argue with success. Now I have locking handles on both doors and trunk all using the same key.

I wonder if anyone else has has a similar experience.
Superhart is offline   Reply With Quote