View Single Post
Old 12-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #8
rugreen

Default Re: Losing power when warmed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
rugreen,
If I understand you correctly, you're saying that after the car reaches normal operating temperature after driving for a while and then dies when you come to a stop, the car will restart but will not continue to run acceptably? What exactly do you mean by losing power?
I live in SW Virginia and drive on a lot of the back mountainous roads. After driving for 45 minutes on these roads the car is at operating temparature (~170 deg F where the coolant exits the engine and flows into the radiator) and is running fine. However, when I get into town and come to a red light, stop sign, or hit slow traffice, the car "stutters" when I try to accelerate - unfortunately, I can't think of a better word to describe it than "stutters." The car won't accelerate, but it doesn't stall - it actually idles fine and if I pull off to the side of the road and push the accelerator with the car it neutral, the engine revs fine. However, if I try to drive down the road, the car struggles going 10 mph. The engine doesn't backfire when it is having these issues. The closest thing that I can describe to the way the car acts is if you completely shut GAV after a long drive and try to drive up a steep hill - complete loss of power.
rugreen is offline   Reply With Quote