Thread: Speedster Kit
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #98
QGolden

Default Re: Speedster Kit

I do not have a spring in stock with eyes to demonstrate the bending, but I have an arch in stock, so I used that for this demo.

In order of appearance:

The HF Pipe Bender has a few mods to it, the first are the 6 holes in the center, it comes with the 12 outside holes, adding the 6 in the center gives it some additional versatility.

Next I made an end for the ram so it is easier to center the spring on it. Just a piece of roundstock with a hole in the side to sit on the ram. And mark its CL on the top.

Lay your spring on the floor and trace the arch, flip it around to see if it is symmetrical, A springs should be, some others are not. If not, you will need to bump one side more than the other to bring it in, just note it for now, we will fix it later.

Lay a rule beside it, and mark it every two inches.

Lay the spring in the press, start in the center.

Next two steps are real important, by hand, (without the handle in the ram) raise the ram tight to the spring, then insert the handle. You will need to figure out how many pumps to give the ram, I recommend one full pump or one and a half. Go easy until you figure out how much your ram moves.

Set it, start it with your hand, insert handle and pump, release, move the next mark and repeat, and repeat, and repeat. After you get to the end, go back to the center and do it again in the other direction. Then take the spring out and lay it back on your original chalk line and take a look. After a couple of sessions you will be able to feel exactly how much pressure will bend the spring exactly where you want it to go.

This time it took three rounds to reverse the arch, I laid it back on the chalk line, noticed it is off a little on the right side. I flipped it over to make sure the error followed the spring, marked the spring where it had runout, back to the press, and just nudged that area, one and a half pumps each inch on one end, and it dropped right in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0775.JPG (97.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0776.JPG (155.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0780.JPG (76.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0783.JPG (84.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0784.JPG (95.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0781.JPG (84.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0788.JPG (91.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0791.JPG (91.4 KB, 46 views)

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote