View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Steve Ciccalone

Default Re: Another Model 'A' Crash.

I hate to say this because the outcome was a terrible tragedy for the family but given the circumstances that the Model A was entering or crossing the highway makes it moot whether a cell was involved if there was no light or stop sign on Rte 29 for the intersection. Assuming the driver of the modern car was not required to stop, the entering A was the burdened vehicle. I've been riding motorcycles for years and have seen many friends injured and known of many riders killed by people entering the roadway who misjudge the oncoming bike or simply don't see it. Even though the bike is not the burdened vehicle, the rider pays the price. This goes for people who misjudge oncoming cars as well as we all have seen.

This is a valuable lesson for all people driving antique cars, especially when they don't do it regularly. Unless one has a streetrod, accelleration is much slower. I'm not bashing any older people here but reactions and depth perception (eyesight) wane over time and we have to be mindful of that.

I've driven over 600,000 miles in the last ten years so by no means am I apologizing for one cell phone user or texter in a car. I've seen so many unbelievable things that people do while driving that it is no longer a surprise. The old adage, "Drive Defensively" is still valid and one we must follow.