View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 09:45 PM   #12
TFB

Default Re: Electronic Voltage Regulator

A lot of interesting experiences and opinions. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
Possibly an unpopular opinion, but if you are going to 12v negative ground, and don't want an external voltage regulator on the firewall, than go with a powermaster or even better an EJ Whitney alternator/generator that will just hook up with one wire and retain the generator look.
A.S., I looked at the Powergen a few years back but you couldn't mount the fan on one, or at least you couldn't back then. From what I recall it was either the rpms or bearing issues, but I know for a fact that tech support said no fan.

As for the EJ Whitney alternator/generator, what do they cost? No prices on their website, so it's probably high. I can tell you I have 50 bucks wrapped up in the rebuilt '56 genny and a couple hours swapping out the front cover and trimming the mount ear off the back and sanding and buffing it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry View Post
TFB, I reread your 2nd post and no, the 6v generator was not converted. A 6v generator can put out 12v but you have to be careful. They tell you in the Fun Project VR for 12 volts that you must limit the amps (about 9) or you'll burn out the generator. This isn't good if you have a lot of things in your car that require electricity...radio, heater fan, etc. It worked for me even driving at night. But that is about all I ever used that was requiring extra amps. Terry
Terry, When I looked and compared the internals between the 6 & 12 volt generators there wasn't anything obvious. However I remember seeing a part listing which showed distinct 12v and 6v field coils so I thought there must be a difference. But the housing are identical.

Last edited by TFB; 08-16-2020 at 09:55 PM.
TFB is offline   Reply With Quote