View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #379
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

An unusual airworthiness inspector. He had some humour.

Paper work was never my strength, I don’t see any reason to collect or compile useless information.
My Dromader had just completed an engine change when an uninvited aviation airworthiness inspector arrived. I categorise these fellows as unwanted. Mostly they have come from the military and have no concept of economics and practicalities but I don’t know this blokes background. He asked to see a legal document called a maintenance release, a document that must be signed by an authorised person each day prior to flight. The pilot is one such person. Mine was pristine, not a single entry. Within a week I received a formal and official letter from the aviation authority counciling me on legal requirements. That too was filed where all good paper work goes. End of part 1.
Some time later my son Dennis had an overnight in Darwin and was invited to dinner at an aircraft engineers home. There he met the airworthiness inspector mentioned above. Discussion turned to a nice twin engined Cessna for sale. It had only 20hours left to run on each engine ( a legal limitation). The price was a gift. The inspector turned to Dennis and said, “your dad should buy that Dennis, he could get years of use out of it.”

Footnote. The Dromader is a large eastern block agricultural / firebomber aeroplane. It was unpleasant to fly and a headache to maintain but I didn’t know that when I purchased it. It was cheap. It’s primary fault was it now belonged to me.
My friend David Black was killed when his Dromader lost a wing back in 2013. Didn’t like them before and definitely not since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dromader.jpg (20.1 KB, 7 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote