View Single Post
Old 01-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #18
2manycars

Default Re: Pressure plate adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Just so we're all on the same page here, is it a Model A clutch or a V-8 clutch mounted on a lightened Model A flywheel, such as the combo sold by numerous vendors? The reason I ask is because in the last couple years, two such V-8 pressure plates in two separate vehicles began slipping fairly soon after I installed them. Re-adjusting the fingers provided only temporary improvement before the clutch began to slip again. I finally yanked the engines in both and replaced the V-8 clutches and lightened flywheels with a standard Model A pressure plate and flywheel. That solved the slipping problem.
I am nervous anymore about using vendors' V-8 clutch/flywheel combos after these two frustrating - and expensive - experiences. I seem to recall shortly afterwards that someone else posted similar problems with his V-8 clutch right out of the box. I wonder if there was a run of bad V-8 clutches sold during this time period because I never read or heard about this problem prior to my experience.
So, can you please verify that you have the standard Model A pressure plate before we all continue with our SWAGS?
Marshall
I think at least some of the new V8 clutches are made in China. That may not be good. Also, some were using 8N tractor clutches, which do not have the flyweights to tighten the pressures by cyntrifical force at speed.