View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Rotation play in distributor shaft

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Possible, but if you have one it should (a) be obviously present when the valve cover is removed and (b) be spring-loaded, so the play should snap back when you let go. I also have one (they're great). If you have one and it isn't springing back, you should remove/replace it.
This is true, but as far as we know from post #1 the OP has not removed the valve cover... yet. Nor did he say it snapped back. I was just making a suggestion as to why he might have so much movement. https://youtu.be/_dnBoiVobO8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humperhill View Post
I do have an auto advance but not the Nu-Rex type. The lower plate actually has centrifugal weights and spring loaded. While I do have that sprung movement with the rotor it snaps back. The above movement is in addition to this and does not snap back. I have not removed the valve cover as of yet.
Sounds like you may have a "B" distributor with centrifugal advance. A "B" distributor advances 8½° (17° crank advance).

If you have 25° movement in addition to what the distributor advances I would venture to guess you have some serious wear problems...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 07-22-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote