Thread: Model A Starter
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
Synchro909

Default Re: Model A Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Remove the starter band. Look closely at the bottom (inside the starter)of the Electrical button post. If you see 2 field coil bus bars soldered to the post it is a 6 volt starter. One bus is 12volt. The reason is the 6 volt field coils are wound in parallel, thus the 2 bus bars. 12 volt starter fields are wound in series and have only one bus bar soldered to the button.
Many cars have had 6 volt starters with 12volt batteries running fine with no problems for years. In the last 2 years I have seen 3 or 4 cars with the starter ring gear pushed off the flywheel due to the heavy impact of the starter drive engaging the flywheel.
MAG is correct. I convert my own starters to 12v by rearranging the field windings in this way. Tens of thousands of miles and no problems.
Another way of slowing down a standard starter is to use tiny battery leads. The thinner and longer the better to cause a voltage drop in them. That is exactly the opposite to what we do to get a 6v starter working well, I know but think about it! I've even seen bendix springs used as a resistor to do the same.