View Single Post
Old 11-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #52
DougVieyra

Default Re: How Many Model A's are left ?

Glenn - according to Edsel Ford II, besides the six cars you have restored, you also have another 18 cars 'to be restored'. Or is it that you have two cars restored and the other 4 are to be restored ?

Twenty-four Ford Model A's in anyone's garage is a bit of a clutter, so let's hope that you have just two cars restored and are "going to get around to it, one of these days", with the other four cars.

Part of our problem in trying to 'get a handle' on a 'rough' number of how many Model A's have survived, is the fact that there is no definitive definition of what a Ford Model A is in today's cluttered car world. I do not want to start a new thread (although it might be an informative one) to get a consensuses of what constitutes a Ford Model A, but I suppose a few gound rules of definition would be in order.

Does a visually stock Model A, that has installed a Pinto engine, count ? Does a Gibbons Body with a fabricated 'box' frame, count ? Does a coupe that has been 'chopped and channeled', count ? Does that smashed up, rusted partial roadster body that sits in the 'South Forty' count ? The difficulty of where to 'draw the line', is why we shall never have an answer to 'How Many Model A's are left.

The passed 80+ years have left Henry's creation in a jumble of distorted variations and 'improved' versions of the original car. I suppose that because of the elusiveness of a firm definition and agreement of just what does constitute a Ford Model A, we can never get an answer to the question. But at least the question did get some of us to think about the question, and perhaps expand our understanding of how far some of us define what a Ford Model A is.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 11-18-2013 at 04:39 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote