Thread: LED Headlights
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 01:15 PM   #10
Bill G

Default Re: LED Headlights

My take on this is that the LED headlamp makers have tried to put the LED array in the same position in the bulb as the filaments of the incandescent bulb. It just didn't work very well. The reflector behind the bulb is a parabolic reflector that needs the light source to be in exactly the right place and oriented horizontally to be able to focus the beam. Precise aiming is dependent on focus, so focusing has to be done before aiming. You can still aim an unfocused beam, but it will be rather general, not precise.

LED's have two distinct advantages. They are much, much brighter, and they take up one heck of a lot less power. One can easily run bright LED's using the standard original generator.

If you do go with LED's, you will notice that everything in front of you is lit up brighter. Even stuff off to the side of the road on both sides, like fences, traffic signs, etc. In order to not blind the oncoming traffic, try to point the headlight buckets generally downward. Otherwise, you might get people flicking you the brights to get you to dim them down.

This was from my experience with LOGO lights. I went back to standard 32/50's because I can aim them a lot better. This summer, however, I intend to do some more tinkering with the LED's. I am nearing 70 and my eyesight is not what it used to be. While I would like to have headlights that do as well as my 2019 Honda, I am also continually being blinded by the new LED headlights coming at me.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote