Thread: 35 Horn
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2022, 07:20 PM   #6
Dennisfly

Default Re: 35 Horn

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The vibrator coil in that horn design is an interesting deviation from the old conventional vibrators used in the past. The design was likely to make it more compact to fit inside the housing. I can't tell how much is adjustable on the points set up for this one. It appears to have an adjustment for diaphragm air gap and for tension on the points arm I just wonder what has been the failure point on these? Back in the day, they would adjust for a specific current draw of the vibrator circuit while in operation. No telling what the specs are for this design. A good set of points should last a long time on a vibrator circuit. If they are cheap crap than that might be the only problem.

The diaphragm has that washer fixed to it with the protrusion that I assume is what pushes against the points arm so as to open the points when it makes contact. This item has to be in proper position to operate the points or there will be no sounding function. The rest depends on the points condition and adjustment. If the points don't open then it won't vibrate. The air gap between the vibrator coil core & diaphragm has to be set to manufacturers specs what ever that is. I just know that the diaphragm has to be able to move for it to vibrate.

Rotorwrench

I did disassemble it further after my first post. The points were somewhat dirty and pitted so I filed them. I tried adjusting the screw that controls the points gap 1/2 turn at a time and there is a range where the points can be heard opening and closing when power is applied or removed, but no horn sound. I also tried adjusting the diaphragm air gap in increments but still no sound. Maybe there is a correct combination of these two screw adjustments, but if so, I haven't found it yet.