View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
Henry Floored

Default Best alternator conversion for my '41

Hey guys I have a 41 Coupe that I'd like to install an alternator on. My car is already 12V negative ground via a modified later model generator.

I'd like to convert to an alternator to improve efficiency. I'm not thrilled about how an alternator looks up in a Flatty but under the hood it's not such a big deal. If this was an open roadster I'd be more hesitant in using one.

My goals are to have the capability of supporting the possibility of running a hidden modern radio, additional lighting and maybe a auxiliary electric cooling fan. Also I'm interested in converting to an alternator that is readily available should I have a crapout on the road.

So the question is, what have you guys done? What works good? What's available reasonable and practical?

Also I'll not be putting any GM parts on my Ford. There's plenty of guys doing that all over the world. I'm more interested in using a Ford alternator with maybe even an internal regulator. I can dummy up the current firewall mounted external voltage regulator so as not to butcher my wiring harness.

Would appreciate your thoughts and thanks in advance.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote