View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #31
P.S.

Default Re: Ford Model A Camshaft Inspection and Evaluation

I was given the link to this thread and asked to comment.

Although it is very humbling to be considered a YouTube Model A creator in high regard, please don't use my videos as an example of what to do. I am not an expert video maker in any way. Keeping that in mind, I'll gladly share my novice thoughts since I was asked to comment.

First, having a plan for a video is important to the finished product. I usually storyboard a video well in advance of making it, hitting the main points it will cover and do a couple rough concept drawings as to what the camera angles should be for best view of the work being done. Nothing is worse than someone's body or head getting in the way of the action.

I don't produce full scripts, but I do bullet point the dialogue beforehand. Luckily, I have 36 years of radio broadcasting experience to fall back on to fill in the blanks. Most of my "scripts" are something like this-

1. Open. Topic- Removing oil pump from motor.
2. Remove oil pan. Talk about gaskets. Talk about screw to hold oil pump.
3. Show how to remove old gasket.
4. Show oil pump.
5. Show how oil pump pin fits in slot. Show pump drive.
6. Closeup of pump drive. Show gears. Show pump out of motor.
etc.
So, I script the talking points, and script the parts to talk about and parts to show. I also script the parts where I pause for a closeup or detail explanation. If you have this planned in advance, it gives you a good feel for the pacing and allows you to tweak the video before you ever start recording and saves a lot of time.

In the case of the video being discussed here, I agree with some of the comments above about watching the language and verbiage used during a video. Whether or not we're adults here isn't the issue. I have seen and heard the S-word millions of times, maybe even used it a time or two, but in the context of a video, it is a real turn off. Generational or not, foul language isn't just offensive to snowflakes, it's offensive in general.

Every video should have a conclusion or accomplishment to tie it all together. What is the purpose? What is the desired outcome? If the viewer is going to invest their time into watching your video, what can they expect to get out of it? Make that clear in the beginning. "Today, we're going to remove a camshaft from a Ford Model A motor and inspect it. I'll show you what to look for." That would be a great hook for your video. At the end, the viewer got what you promised and feels good about the time investment.

Last piece of advice is keep it moving. If you have to stop and think a minute, that's fine. Do an edit so the audience doesn't have to wait for you to gather your thoughts. Watching someone stumble through the process of finding the right word or tool is painful.

I cannot count how many clips, shots, or full videos get deleted because it just isn't coming together properly. When something is going sideways, just stop and regroup. I have had to delete entire videos because I knew if I posted that garbage, it would hurt the overall channel. All you have to do is deter someone one time with one video to make them never come back for any of your videos ever again. There's a LOT of pressure to be on your game at all times. And, sometimes that means burying your mistakes. It's tough to throw away a week or two's worth of work, but if it tastes bad, spit it out.

Other than that, I think the concept of your videos could be very helpful to someone wanting to learn something in particular. You cannot expect to be perfect right off the bat, but you can certainly get better.

I wish you the best of luck if you decide to pursue this. There are lots of reasons people decide to make videos and post for the public to view. My intention has always been to help others. Along the way, you'll meet people and have opportunities to help that you never imagined. It feels good to be able to give back.

Last edited by P.S.; 12-28-2020 at 12:42 PM.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote