View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #19
alexiskai

Default Re: Ford Model A Camshaft Inspection and Evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Let me start by saying it this way. I have an evergrowing list of nearly 100 different Model-A topics that I wanted to post on a weekly basis as a YouTube content creator. What I have learned after filming a couple is there is too much work (-time and expense) for the reward given in return in producing videos. Therefore it is strictly done as a labor of love to do it correctly. Look at Mark Clayton's video series on the Victoria project he is/was restoring. Mark has great knowledge of the content he is providing however he appears to be struggling with the time it takes to actually produce the content. I feel certain I don't want to follow in his footsteps in that regard.

And, ...the information for most topics, -along with answers to most questions can be found if someone will just search here, -or take the time to read any of the printed material often referenced here (RG&JS, Les' red book, etc.) however it appears that to most new hobbyist, even that is more work than most are willing to participate in. So I don't know what the best answer is, but I do know that what this hobby does need is less misinformation. Facebook's Model-A pages have the misinformational thingie well covered!!
I completely agree with you that video content is a *ton* of work to do well. I deeply respect the effort that clearly goes into Paul Shinn's videos, and I like that he covers core information that's useful to new and seasoned owners alike. I hadn't known about Clayton's series, thank you for that reference.

There's no easy solution, but we do need to recognize that video will have a role to play in the future of the hobby, replacing to some extent the in-person skill transfer that used to happen from father to son or from older club members to younger ones. Obviously that still happens, but we depend on it at our peril. Written material, either in dead-tree binders (Les's book does have a few errors that were never corrected) or poorly-organized forums like this one, can only go so far. For one thing, it's rare in forums to have someone give a complete step-by-step procedure the way Les's books do.

I personally would pay some amount if you wanted to start a pay-subscription video series. Just a thought.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote