View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Ford Model A Camshaft Inspection and Evaluation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Blood View Post
Brent, thanks for your feedback. I was under the impression this forum was so we could all learn from each other and improve? I mean, that's literally the reason I joined this community. Impressing the group is not the goal so much as learning from your many, many years of personal experience so it can be passed on and appreciated by further generations.

Regarding the fuel pump vid, what would you have added between the valve cover and lower distributor shaft sections?
A Model-A does engine not have a fuel pump. The video I watched from you was how to remove the oil pump. The oil pump can be removed without removing the valve cover and/or removing the lower distributor drive shaft.

This forum IS for learning and sharing experiences. The hang-up that some have is reading (-or viewing) non-factual information. For example, using your video as an example, if a newbie wanted to remove his engine's oil pump and he were to use your video as his guide, it is believable that he would feel he needed to remove the valve chamber cover, the oil drain-back tube, the carburetor, along with the oil pan just to remove the oil pump. Nothing could be further from being factual in learning from that video. I trust you see my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
There is a sort of informal rule here that the audience is packed with literally full-time professional machinists, and so if you are not a pro-level machinist and you ask them to critique anything on the topic of machining, you are likely to get verbally mauled. Don't get me wrong, it's a constructive mauling, but you might not come back for seconds.
IMO this opinion of yours is total nonsense. I have been here for many years and that has never been the intent from my perspective. It has, however, amazed me how some folks will become offended after they have knowingly posted falsified or incorrect information here yet feel like they are being verbally mauled if their 'audience' does not agree with their comment. It is my opinion that others should not need to critique or research every comment made as to whether it is factual or not. Posters should have the respect to not guess at an answer while wording their post as if it is to be perceived as factual. The issue with this is, -hobbyists come here to learn the facts so they can make intelligent decisions regarding their own circumstances. Having to decipher whether the posted advice being given is truly factual should not be a perquisite here.

FWIW, I have viewed your videos too. Add yourself to the above list of content providers.

I do want to ask the question, ...at what point is a content provider experienced enough to be a teacher? Is doing the same task on multiple vehicles enough to be able to speak of the various scenarios that someone might encounter? Should someone actually have completely restored their own vehicle with their own tools be necessary? I personally think so if it will be construed as a 'how-to' video where the intention is to give instruction to others. For example, Les Andrews did not write a book as a teacher when he was a newbie. Les brought many years of experience that he obtained restoring multiple Model-A vehicles before he was considered a qualified and knowledgeable content provider.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 12-01-2020 at 11:37 AM. Reason: ...adding further content
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote