View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
alexiskai

Default Re: Ford Model A Camshaft Inspection and Evaluation

First off, all of this should be taken as *constructive* critiques. I think everyone here agrees that YouTube has huge potential as a teaching tool and a way to promote the hobby, particularly these days with many clubs staying home during the pandemic. I know I personally will watch just about anything on YouTube that has a Model A in it. So I appreciate that you're putting yourself out there, making the videos, trying to contribute. That's good and we should encourage it.

There are lots of ways these videos could be improved. Brent touched on some above, but what caught my attention was that it just felt like you were taking a lot of shortcuts and it was evident on screen. For example:
  • Entire camshaft video is shot in vertical orientation - c'mon, rookie!
  • In the oil pump and crankshaft videos, you don't name the parts you're taking out. This is a key service videos provide, helping folks learn the names and functions of each component.
  • The whole thing with using another author's description of pitting is important because it needs to be in your own words. Anyone can look up that description - if you're going to put it in the video, you should do the work of understanding the content and contextualizing it for your audience.

You posted this engine in the swap meet as being parted out, so am I to understand that you're taking it apart but have no intention of putting it back together? If so you should disclose that in the videos.

If you want to continue making Model A content, my recommendation is to look at other Model A creators doing work right now, like Paul Shinn, Jack Bahm, Ryan Burkhardt, the guy who does the "richpin" channel and his glorious accent. Watch their videos and make notes about what works, what doesn't. How do they use the camera? How do they make sure the audience understands what's happening? What are they trying to communicate and does it succeed? That'll help you learn these techniques for your own channel.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote