View Single Post
Old 08-19-2021, 11:04 PM   #14
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Computer on Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
In this morning's news, Toyota is cutting car production by 40% because of a chip shortage. There has been a shortage for quite a long time and it seems things are not getting any better. I've never even driven a car with a reversing camera let alone all that other crap. All I need is my neck-top computer. Maybe this shortage will see some of those "features" dropped from future models and maybe even we start using points and coil ignition again. (I doubt that will happen but.....)
If any of that happens, there will be people (young) who can't manage but it won't do them any harm to learn to drive rather than rely on a silicone chip.
The reverse camera along with tpms and traction control are all federally mandates now in the US and have been for years. Honestly i like the reverse cameras, i can put it in reverse to back out somewhere and see down the road/parking lane for quite a distance. Great when your parked along a building/wall/shrub/tall vehicle and cant see out your windows. With modern cars being inherently safer when hit from all directions they had to make door sill heights higher and fatter A B and C pillars which all contribute to poor outward visibility. Part of the reason backup cameras were mandated is because with the rise of suvs which naturally have larger blindspots directly behind them too many kids were getting run over as they arent tall enough to be seen by mirrors alone. Heck with my fullsize stock silverado the roof of a stock 1997 civic comes up to the bed side. I cant see them or similar cars in my passenger side blind spot.

But yes im not fond of tpms systems and traction control. I honestly really hate abs brakes on snow.