View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 07:52 AM   #9
STEVE O

Default Re: one wire alternator

Hi,
I have run and also installed one wire alternators and changed the regulator in them to make them one wire. A friend at work swapped regulator in a gm alternator and installed it on his WD Allis Chambers. It would not charge. We searched the net and found that in rare occasions that the alternator can lose its magnetism and won't charge. News to me as I had never heard of this. All is needed is to re excite it. I have copied and pasted the info. Good luck. Before you remove the alternator, first try to determine if a loss of residual magnetism is causing the loss of voltage. You can do this by flashing the field:

With the vehicle ignition in the “off ” position, remove the rubber boot from the alternator battery terminal and the rubber grommet from the small “R” terminal.
Take a small piece of wire and touch one end of it to the battery alternator terminal. Then touch the other end to the small "R" terminal. (Note: This may create a small spark, which is normal.)
Remove the wire and start the vehicle. The voltmeter should now increase its voltage reading to around 14 volts.
If the alternator isn’t charging, then re-check all connections and belt tension before removing the alternator.
Put the rubber boot and the rubber grommet back on.
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote