View Single Post
Old 09-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #31
Kube

Default Re: 1939 1940 1941 firewall wiring kidney shaped cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Kube
In the interim I found this picture of our Merc at the 09 Central National in Auburn and you can see our cover is body color!!! NOT saying you are wrong by any means......BUT here is my bases of proof thus far!!
I must agree that the possibility exists that some covers were painted body color. The logistics to do so would not be a difficult. However, they would add cost, something Ford attempted to avoid when possible.

There haven't been many "colored" covers witnessed that could offer more than "I think this is original" offered as proof and / or theory.
While researching for my book, the priority was always what was intended. When a deviation occurred on a basis so vast it couldn't be cast as "worker error" or "ran out of cadmium bolts (ex)" then I'd include that in the text.
This cover is one of those things that simply has not been witnessed on more than a very infrequent basis.

I did find that very early cars of any model had more anomalies than later production.
A perfect example of that? 1940 Deluxe grille trim with squared off ends. The engineering releases clearly show this design as obsolete prior to "Job #1". Still, this squared off end trim showed up on a vast number of very early vehicles. Too many to believe with any common sense it was worker error or simply an oversight.
Nope, most likely, the early design was used up prior to the speared end design was the "norm".