View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
mrtexas

Default Naphthenic base oil lubricant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Apparently you didn't read the MSDS which reveals a napthenic base stock in MMO. That is a far superior lubricant than the n- and iso-paraffins that comprise standard motor oil. The halogenated solvent component facilitates penetration of the napthelenes into surfaces previously saturated with oil.
Not wanting to argue Uncle Bob and my area of expertise was not in lube oils at the refinery I was a chemical engineer at and I may be wrong but I am of the opinion that lube oils for automobiles and industrial uses are branched chain paraffins. The refinery I worked in long ago quit making naphthenic base stocks.

Not being aware that naphthenes are used in lubricating oils I did a little googling. Apparently there are some low quality lube oils made from naphthenic base stocks according to:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...e-oil-industry

"Naphthenic base oils were also available but not normally used in mainstream lubricants....they have a low VI relative to paraffinic oils so their lubricating performance and oxidation stability are relatively poor. They are normally used in specialty applications such as metal working fluids and transformer oils."

I'd be curious to know what specific lube oils use naphthenic base oils.

Last edited by mrtexas; 09-21-2010 at 07:34 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote