Thread: Engine power
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 12:09 AM   #38
larrys40

Default Re: Engine power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I agree. It's best to have everything here so we can all offer advice and all learn by the solution. I'm out of ideas and would like to hear other's ideas.

Can't wait for the solution, and wish I was closer so I could see the engine in person.

The only other check I can think of is to put the engine on a scope to see the spark pattern. My scope won't work until I slip some clear plastic tubing over the bronze spark plug strap. The inductive pickup won't work when it's in direct contact with the spark strap.

I agree that putting it on a scope might help. I am struggling with a couple of the OP's statements.

1. shorting 3 or 4 kills the engine. It can't unless there is an ignition failure in some way... and since 1 & 2 are firing an engine can still run on 2.

2. need leakdown results as Mitch stated

3. separate the mechanical nature of troubleshooting of compression and leakdown vs ignition. Suck and blow/ vs ignition, distributor cam, and ignition components.

It was stated he feels it has low power.... not all engines perform the same.. and I think we can all agree on that!

I say perform all mechanical tests including leakdown on engine, then verifiy ignition and distributor primary and secondary for 100% . points,timing,plugs all set accurately, voltages checked, coil, condenser, dist body, etc verified.

Methodical troubleshooting is key and in order here.
Mike V.... I agree!
Please keep us posted on status.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote