View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #23
Tin Lizard

Default Re: Engine balance during install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Greg View Post
p.s. Do yourself a favor and get the frame spreader as it can be a real pain in the neck without it
Sounds good, thanks for the heads up. I found a couple pictures and see what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Hi Brent and welcome.
Left to right is no real concern as there is nothing to hit and the engine minus manifolds is not side heavy.

Mike
Seems like this is the consensus on the importance of balance. Not critical; but helpful to be close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
I do love threads like this one....American ingenuity and multiple correct answers for the same question. Priceless.
Well said. I've had mostly good experiences in various forums, but everyone's comments in this thread are the model of what I like in a healthy forum discussion.

I got a little carried away with this project, but had a blast putting this stuff together. Here is the new lift bracket attached to the head puller. It has two sets of mounting holes so I have a couple options for side to side balance. I expect I will pick one position after a trial run and call it good enough.

The assembly seems like overkill (Ain't no kill like overkill). I think it will work fine with just the bracket, as seen below. Also pictured is the load leveler, completed over the weekend. Not pictured is a 1/2 ton hand lever hoist and small crane rig I use for various tasks.

The first lift will be a spare motor from a family member's pole barn in a couple weeks.

Thanks to all for the helpful comments!
Tin Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote