View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #13
Tom Endy

Default Re: Ignition System Question

The two coils I had was about ten years ago. They both failed early on. The first one was on my 6-volt Victoria. We were headed to Yellowstone from Los Angeles. Every time I stopped for gas north of Las Vegas with the temps around 100 degrees the car was hard to start and once started ran poorly for several miles until the temp under the hood came down. At Yellowstone it was cool and the car ran ok. On the way home it was the same drill. A few days after I got home the coil failed completely. I put the original coil back on and have not had a problem with it since.

The second car was a 12-volt 29 coupe. We were headed for Palm Springs. the first time I stopped for gas the with elevated temps the failure mode appeared. I immediately put the original coil back on. I suspect what was happening is the secondary windings expanded with heat and are poorly insulated and shorted out. When the coil cooled down the short went away (for a while).

I am a firm believer that you cannot improve on Henry's ignition design. Five million Model A's roamed the planet with it.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote