View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
RockHillWill

Default Re: Making Wood Plans available

Brent:

You have seen my collection of drawings for the 225A. I have everyone from the archives, including all the wood ones. You could not possibly create a way to describe on the drawings, the compound curves, overlapping joints, non 90 degree edges and sweeping joints, etc. After buying the plans, they would have to invest heavily in some wood working equipment and still be left with more than a handful of questions about your 'drawings'. A great number of the wood drawings are made with the understanding that some fitting will need to be done after assembly to fit the sheetmetal.

I have done three pickups, the 225A and two Tudors , all with relatively simple wood work, and NONE were the same or a perfect fit upon initial assembly. I was really ticked off with the 'easy' first pickup until I figured this out.

There is NO WAY you want this headache. Each customers wood would require different fittings and phone instructions would be futile. Your customers would be proud of you for selling them inexpensive 'kits and drawings', then get 'touchy' when they could not figure out why it does not fit the first time on their own.

I spent a month or two with a gentleman that had a 3-dimensional wood 'tracer' machine in an attempt to do this for some simple pickup wood, and we both agreed that it was not going to be a money maker to start with and the questions became increasingly evident as we pursued it.

As a Model a restorer, the patterns will work great for you because you already know where to join, trim, extend, etc. each piece after assembly, but that is an almost impossible thought to put on paper for folks that dont have similar contractions and expansions to their existing wood.

I'm not much of a fisherman, but that seems to be more worms than you could ever use!

As always, just a thought.