View Single Post
Old 06-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Help. 8ba in ‘46 Merc

There is another option - it is to change the front of the motor to use the earlier cam/crank gears, timing cover and front-mount distributor - and the cam with the t-slot in the nose. The reason you have to change the cam/crank gears (which is not a big deal) is because the gear teeth are at an opposite angle on 49-53 - pushing the thrust TOWARD the timing cover and not toward the block. You want the thrust toward the block with the earlier timing cover and distributor setup.

If you use the above approach, then all your water pumps, generator, fan, bets, distributor, etc - can all fit. The only issue is that if the engine is together, that you also need an earlier CAM - that doesn't have the late side-mount distributor "nose" on it. This is usually the deal-breaker for somebody who has an engine that is already together. Just wanted to give you another option. I will say that the one big reason I like this approach is that the whole front of the engine "looks" and operates as the original one did - which is a bonus in my mind.

Good luck!
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote