View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 09:47 PM   #24
G_Don

Default Re: T5 Valley Machining Kit

I sourced a t5 at the carlisle swap meet (well atleast my dad did) and it is an s10 from a 2.5L v6? that is world class and has the 3.76 gearing.

I'm thinking of two different plans which are
1)going ahead and doing the valley machine open drive kit with the stock model a rear (welded wishbones) and the third link
2)buying a v8 banjo rear (probably a 35/36) and pumpkin U joint adapter from speedway and then just getting a custom made driveshaft, and have the 35/36 radius rods shortened to fit onto the rear transmission mount. Thinking of 35/36 rods just cause I have a set and they're the only ones that bolt to the rear (?).

But I have a few questions.
1)Is there any benefit to running a v8 banjo rear over the model A? I'm assuming they're stronger but just how much? Are they even stronger than a Model A rear if you add the third link?
2) With a seriously hopped up banger and t5 overdrive, will that overpower the stock A rear?

I plan on running hydraulic brakes, so I wouldn't have to modify the backing plates on the 35 rear like you would with a model A rear. Maybe I'm just weighing my options out loud, but I'd like to hear some opinions from guys who have done this conversion one way or another. All input is welcome!

Thanks again for all your guys time and help for a novice like me.
Gordy
G_Don is offline   Reply With Quote