View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #19
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 1955 F100 239 Carb/Dist Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisK View Post
Can you elaborate a little more on the process to convert the carburetor to mechanical advance?
I was afraid you were going to ask that next. You will need to remove the spark control valve and block it off. I believe you can buy the plug with the mating threads from some places that sell piecemeal carb parts, like maybe Mikes carburator parts, and maybe look on the Holley website also. Get a new gasket for it too.
Now, this part I am NOT saying is guaranteed to be proper procedure for the ported vacuum to the distributor, but I have seen it recommended by several people on the fordsix website for the 223 conversion to mechanical advance. They say to remove the vacuum line from back of carb to distrib vac advance and plug the port in the back of the carb. Run a new line from intake manifold vac port to the distrib vac advance.
I will not endorse this method, because I don't know what they intended it to be used for nor am I aware of the performance using this method.
Hope others here can shed more light on a remedy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisK View Post
I've seen a number of new 3 bolt 2 barrel carburetors. Although you don't recommend it, it seems it might be a good solution. The only thing I'm concerned about is that all of them are rated for about 200 cfm. I've done the calculation and I think this is what is required for the 239.
It might be a good solution for you. I don't know what you are using your car for and how often. If it is just a trailer queen, by all means throw one on and hope for the best. I use my '55 (all original drivetrain) every day, and never hesitate to take a 200 mile trip if I want to. I have well-founded trust issues with the modern repro and semi-retro replacement stuff being offered now having been burned by poor quality and un-acceptable longevity.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote