Thread: Shocking Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #26
updraught

Default Re: Shocking Advice

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If I was going to use tube shocks I would spring for the Koni Special D. From another thread there are VW bug ones that might fit. I've had much success with Special D before on classic car suspension.

Here is a graph of the sports (yellow) and (red) normal Koni shocks:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=293

Notice how there is little compression force needed (arm going up in Capt's photo) and the much more in rebound (arm going down).

I looked at the cost of good brackets to hold the tube shocks (hot rod type) and the cost of good quality tube shocks like the Koni and decided to go with the Stipe shocks for the front (partly to do with the original look too).
The Stipe shocks are still in the box, but I gather from another thread here they are one way adjustable like the Koni.

For the rear I'll probably use some tube or rebuilt original shocks as it is not so critical.

Some of the repo shocks sold by the vendors have a small oil chamber. For long distance driving this could be an issue as the oil could heat up quickly.

One thing I've learned from outback driving is how fast shocks can heat up and burst.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote