View Single Post
Old 11-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
JayJay

Default gas gauge bail threads

Good morning, folks. Question about 1930 CCPU.

The bail to my gas gauge has broken off at the back of the swinging body. I pulled the bail out of the tank with a pair of needle nose pliers and there are maybe 2-3 threads left. So I'm going to have to pull the gauge and likely drill out and rethread both the body and the bail. I'm wondering if anyone knows the proper thread.

Measuring the bail I get a wire diameter of 0.0962", which corresponds most closely to a #3 screw (0.0942"-0.0983"). Pretty hard to tell with just a couple of threads left (and my "mature" eyes) but it looks like it could be 48 tpi, which leads me to conclude that a 3-48 (NC) would be the appropriate pitch. That's not one I've run across before so I don't have that tap set and die in my collection, but before I ordered one I thought I'd see if this august body has any additional thoughts.

Yeah, I know I could just order a replacement gauge, but what's the fun in that?

BTW, when I pulled the bail out the float was just pushed on and soaked clear through with fuel. No end washer or retention. Looks like a champagne cork with the head cut off. So it's been replaced at least once before, and likely before the era of ethanol fuel. I've ordered a gauge rebuild kit with neoprene float.

Thanks all, and stay healthy.

JayJay
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote