View Single Post
Old 07-16-2020, 07:42 AM   #15
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Default Re: Putting model a on lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotvinV8 View Post
How does this "spine" support the car when traveling down the road since the ONLY support points are where the front and rear springs contact the FRAME. The engine, transmission, torque tube, rearend and everything else hang off the frame.

Show me how you would raise a Model A by the axles using a typical two-post lift. I'm genuinely curious as I must be doing it wrong.

I removed the torque tube from my Model A and converted it to an open driveline. Did I severe its' spine? Will it collapse on the road? It hasn't yet nor has it fallen off the two post lift in three months.

Not trying to start a pissing contest, just trying to help people out using rear world scenarios and not someone's theory. I understand the Model A frame was designed to flex, but to say it won't support the vehicle in the air is a bit silly.
Tell us how your rear radius rods are holding up,how can you correctly eliminate the trunnion? with heim joints? ever wonder how hotrodders die? ..when you went open driveshaft you transferred the rear suspension load to the frame and removed the suspensions oscillating point without any consideration of how the car is engineered..talk about silly..

The springs are bolted to the A frame to transfer the weight of the load to the suspension.The suspension 'triangles' (radius rods and axle form a triangle)oscillate on a trunnion in the rear and a ball joint on the front...both points are anchored to the 'spine',which also holds the suspension in alignment..the frame ladder is a means to secure the carried load and body mounting and provide a point of attachment of the spine.

Last edited by Jack Shaft; 07-16-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote