View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #15
dmsfrr

Default Re: Power steering pump alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The only thing I can think of is the 3C511 bracket (see ILL) is different from FORD to BIRD. It looks like that bracket will push the pump mounting outwards as the BIRD FEAD (Front Engine Accessory Drive) was designed.
. . .
Yes the B5SZ-3C511A is a T-Bird only part. Because of the slightly lower position of the engine in the frame the power steering pump needs to sit a bit closer to the center-line of the car and a bit higher... so the bottom of the pump and its plumbing doesn't hit the upper control arm shaft.
Example photos: the red-ish one is from a 'full-sized' car, the black one is for a '55/'57 Bird.

However, these two different parts do not change the front to back position of the pump in relation to belt alignment. The orange one came out of my '55 Bird (with a non-original 'car' engine) before I swapped in (a '55 block and) the black bracket. The new belt was shorter but the pulley alignment was the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
. . .
The BIRD WP sits out further than the FORD so final pulley alignment is crucial.
Photo 3. The large spacer ring behind the water pump does move it forward but the crankshaft pulley is longer to match.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-26-2021 at 11:36 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote