View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #17
Tim Ayers

Default Re: What are the advantages of upgrading to Hydraulic Braks

My buddy had a '35 5W hotrod that retained it's mechanical brakes. The car stopped great. Looking it over, the system was "kept up" and adjusted correctly.

By kept up, I mean maintained. As these cars got older, it must have been amazing to see the crap people would do or how far they push things to the wear limit.

Bent and severely rusty brake rods, worn out parts from lack of greasing, etc. Pedals that can rock back and forth due to completely worn out bushings and shafts, etc.

Just as a hydraulic system can be crappy as well. Ill adjusted brakes, etc may not have the system working correctly.

As fond as it is to go down memory lane (recent thread about bailing wire holding a carb return spring and the reluctance to fix it correctly just because Gramps did it that way) are prime examples of all the farmer fixes and shade tree mechanics that people have done to these old Fords to keep them on the road.

Personally, as a hot rodder, I just love the look of a '40-style backing plate and will continue to use them unless I purchase a car without. I would not bother to convert them.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 01-08-2021 at 09:24 PM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote