View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 02:39 PM   #20
Dirtrack49

Default Re: Coil or condenser over heat

DNLs1930,

Had the same problem. Car started acting up just like yours. Since I was new to Model A's, I went trough the usual checks without any success until replacing the coil. The PO had an oil filled coil mounted upside down like the normal position for A's. What I believe was happening was the coil was overheating from lack of oil to cool it in it's upside down position. I think that some coils just don't have enough oil inside to properly cool them down when mounted upside down. Replaced the coil with an epoxy filled Pertronix that lasted about 300 miles before shorting out. Replaced it with another Pertronix hoping that the first one was just a defect. I still carry the old oil fill coil as a back up. I wire it right side up and it seems to work okay.
One other thing that may have contributed to my coil problems. My distributor body gap to rotor was in excess of .045 on cylinder #1 and there were visible cracks in the body. This is how the car was setup from the PO. I decided to replaced and modify a new distributor body to give me an even gap of .025 between the body and rotor. I don't know if that made any difference since only time will tell.

Ruth,
My engine has that shield on it from the PO. Can't really tell if it is doing any good with the exception that I have not yet changed the condenser. My points and condenser are the original set up.

Tom L.
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote