View Single Post
Old 12-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
Ruth

Default Re: Coil or condenser over heat

Whenever I see these kind of questions I always wonder why our cars are continuously having these problems. I mean, I can only assume we buy our parts from the same sources but I don't have these problems. These cars didn't have these problems when new(er).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post

Points on the other hand, so long as the contacts are not burning away and there is a wear block then they are fine.

DO NOT REPLACE points unless there is something clearly wrong with them. A quality set of used points with a good properly lubricated cam should last you decades unless you are driving thousands of miles. Change points yearly is a waste of money and only increases the level of work. New points have to wear into the cam so they will need frequent adjusting. Once worn in they go long times between needing adjustment.

Do not forget, the upper dist bushing is oiled when you fill up the filler to the top as per the owners manual.
I agree with Kevin. I never understood why when you give a car a "tune up" you automatically throw a good set of points and condenser away?? I have witnessed "mechanics" not even inspect the parts before installing a complete "tune up" kit.

Last edited by Ruth; 12-13-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote