View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #27
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: new battery goin dead

It is possible you just got a bad battery. It has happened to me in the past on my 12V battery late model cars/trucks.

On new batteries I do not trust the stores, and before use check the level in them to make sure the level is over the plates and then put the battery on a maintained/charger. Some stores simply put the acid in them and do not charge the batteries, this does not fully charge them. The stores rely on your generator/alternator providing a full 1st charge. Recheck the fluid level.

After charging I use this load tester on them, is inexpensive at harbor freight, also available on amazon.
https://www.harborfreight.com/100a-6...ter-61747.html.

I have caught 2 new 12V new batteries bad this way. I also do this procedure on all my batteries in late fall. Started this many years back when in an emergency due to a bad battery when on the road. Towed to a dealer, they installed a new GM Delco battery and tested the charging system for big bucks. 20 months later the battery went dead. They neglected to tell me that their batteries only had a warranty of 18 months.

I would take the battery back and get a new one. Freshen your battery connections, could have corrosion or paint. Install a digital ammeter capable of measuring low current in series with the battery, If you have an digital ammeter with a peak hold feature it will hold the reading of max current measured for display. Turn on the ignition with the points open , do not start it. Let it sit overnight.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote