View Single Post
Old 11-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #25
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Why do I have to keep pulling the choke out ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40-A Twins View Post
Hi new member here, Model A owner since 1979.
I have run out of ideas to get the motor in my '29 to run right.
Motor starts right up and runs ok for about 10 seconds, then begins to slow and starts sputtering. Pull and release choke and this cycle repeats for 3 to 5 minutes - which requires me to sit leaning over with my hand on the choke. After this long warm up phase it continues to run at idle without choking but always a little rough.
I assumed this to be either an intermittent fuel blockage or vacuum leak issue, so have done the following:
Added filter screen to fuel shutoff valve.
cleaned out fuel line.
Adjusted carb float level to 5/8".
Cleaned carb passages.
cleaned jets.
New throttle shaft - old shaft had wear.
New manifold gasket.
New intake gasket.

What else could this be ?
I have tried swapping the Zenith carb out for a Tillotson, but it still runs poorly.
Any ideas ?

Kevin
Thinking back to the early 1950's, my dad was still driving a 29 Model A as a daily driver. He started having problems with a similar situation you describe. He found the problem was rust in the gas tank that would gather by the fuel outlet, and the scales were so big they would block gas flow! He eventually emptied the tank and then remove the fuel petcock and did something to put a short hunk of copper tubing in the inlet of the petcock so that the fuel was not drawn from the bottom of the tank. This easy to check as you can disconnect the fuel line from the carb get a can and let the gas flow and see if it stays steady.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote